Sunday 9 October 2016

Motivation and Revenge


Many of my friends know I'm pretty much obsessed with the question 'why?' Yes, I was one of the annoying kids who asked repeatedly "why?" This became something of an advantage when it came to studies but not too great elsewhere. Of course, when my life got upended at various times in my life, I often asked aloud "why me". Not quite sure I'd have appreciated any answer if it did come. Seriously, would it have mattered why? I felt targeted, some game played by the gods if you will, so no, no reason would have made me feel better.


After I started to write LW stories, the question of motivation has become key especially with my other obsession theme: Revenge. I recognise it's part of the God complex going on here. After all, how do you mete out appropriate vengeance and a dollop of justice without understanding motivation and by extension, the possibility of remorse and repentance. That in part explains why my stories, particularly the follow ups/sequels are so long and laborious. And the reason why I'm taking a breather and writing my own stories. They're not off the table, just need some space and fresh air so they don't get formulaic. For a while it was getting too much. I'd watch a show like "The Whispers" and wonder how and why the adulterous pair act the way they do. The hypocrisy of the adulterous couple killed the story for me, aided in no small way by some illogical developments in the story.

Recently, I had the chance to watch another of my favourite movies, Minority Report. Now, the movie and the story itself had different themes in focus and I enjoyed both for different reasons. For the movie version, it was the opening case that troubled me to an extent. The arrest of Howard Marks for the future crime of murder despite his protests of not intending harm towards his wife was troubling, presuming the dominance of determinism. Yet this is contradicted by Cruise's Anderton's ability to choose which is explained by the fact that he has had the privilege of viewing a potential future outcome through the precognitives' visions. Agatha and later Anderton's reminder that potential criminals have a choice contradicts what some have said about choice being absent in Marks' case. If viewers review the segments of the precog vision of Marks' crime, they would notice that in terms of timing, the traitorous wife's uttering of "don't cry, Howard" happens at a different point in the precog vision than it does in the scene of his arrest. Could Howard Marks have decided differently? I believe so.


In any case, I've felt the need to move away at least temporarily and slightly from these themes even if they are darkly delicious. That was part of the reason why I loved those dreary philosophy 101 classes back in senior high school. In any case, readers, if you haven't abandoned me utterly, may look forward to a LW short release in the coming weeks while I work at my version of Othello. Ok, it's as short as it can get with my writing style LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment