Sunday 23 October 2016

Response to comments on Pieces of a Marriage

Thank you to readers and friends who left constructive criticism and suggestions. As said, I'm open to comments that help me become a better writer. I'm, however, not receptive to abuse. If trolls are using the comments section to vent, then I feel bad for them. Seriously, there's a big world out there, plenty of other hobbies available. The 1* bombers - well, you're spending your time (and indirectly) your money on an agenda that gets you nowhere and exposes your IP address. And basically, I don't respond to anonymous posts/comments. If you have something to say that's worth someone responding, I'm assuming you'll put your name on it or send it via email with your email address.

In any case, my message to readers leaving feedback, please don't do the following:

1) Attack other readers and writers in comments. It's not healthy or respectful. I respect the fact that every reader is entitled to their own opinion, so please respect the opinions of others.

2) Don't leave comments that reflect the fact that you haven't read the piece that you're commenting on. I know my other pieces of writing are long. But if you're saying a piece that's about 1 page is long-winded, I think you need to ask yourself why you're reading it. You need a genre that is suited to your reading requirements.

There was a certain trend in the comments that was interesting: sbrooks103x was probably not the first to comment on it but that comment drew responses. Equal blame - to put it simply - was at the crux of the "problem" some readers have with the piece.


I get the eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth impulse that drives revenge - believe me that no fan of Dumas could possibly not have an appreciation of that. That said, my question(s) is (are( as follow(s):
A) Measurement of blame apportionment

What would be an appropriate apportionment of blame? 60/40? 80/20? 90.5/9.5? It reminds me of situations where things are screwed up and no one is doing anything to redeem the situation. Why? Everyone's too busy apportioning blame. Granted if there's a lawsuit and there's the issue of recompense, blame apportionment could make a difference.

B) Following from an accurate apportionment of blame, would we be mired next in an apportionment of revenge too? In other words, we'll have revenge sought and served that is proportionate to the blame/offence. Really? How do you measure? A pound of flesh for x amount of offence? Being a little too specific doesn't do too much for the outcome. You're liable to end up as Shylock, who for all his smarts is ultimately exploited and put at the mercy of his enemies.

If readers want a reminder of the consequences of an exacting revenge BTB, you might want to read BTB Forum which most critics unanimously agreed was way OTT. I'm not mad at readers, ok, maybe those who condemn before they even read what they are critising.

Frankly, I'm grateful there are readers who like the stories. Equally grateful for readers who take the time to tell me what could be improved. So watch for more posts, I'm hoping to get some out before the end of the year. Have fun and keep the feedback coming!

I'm off to stuff my face - yes, again LOL


No comments:

Post a Comment