Sunday 26 June 2016

Review of Royal Rock by BB Hamel

Disclosure: I was given an ARC by the author in return for an honest review.

Title: Royal Rock

Author: B.B. Hamel

What piqued my curiosity: The opening chapter or prologue was fairly effective as a hook. In fact, I liked the opening plus a potential Queen who had enough gumption to slap the King. Of course, it was fun watching the potential fireworks.


And here's the but: The story meandered a little after the initial getting-to-know you runabout. There didn't seem to be clear direction of where this story was heading. And it seemed to stall a little. I realise the change in scenery was needed but the shift in location did make me wonder just how a tiny European country manages to get all that landscape and weather. The key word being tiny.This is a potential spoiler so look away but wasn't the kidnapping after the dress was off? And after the rescue, the medical attention scene was with the lady in jeans after she was cut on the thigh - hate to say this but the psychopath put her in jeans after kidnapping her or after cutting her? So the inconsistency, the meandering and the grammar mistakes did annoy somewhat but many (including myself) have been guilty of several such mistakes, so I won't mark things down because of this. 


What worked: The tired old premise was given a bit of a makeover though I wasn't sure they were ever going to make it through the meandering into HEA. The snappy conversation and pace of the first half was what rescued the novel.


Conclusion: It's not the best BB Hamel I've read, I prefer her other contemporary works. In terms of the bad boy royal genre, there have been worse reads and better reads, this is strictly down the middle. Could do with more sarcasm that I know Bryce and Trip (and BB Hamel) are both capable of! 



Review rating: 2.5*

Amazon rating 4*

Want to read? Here's the Amazon link!

No comments:

Post a Comment