Sunday 7 August 2016

Why I wrote Destroying Fantasies

Why did I write Destroying Fantasies?

When I first read the original story of Ashley in The Man Next Door, I was appalled. Despite being a feminist, I found that I could not stomach the careless and callous manner in which Ashley indulged in her adulterous affair. She showed almost no remorse and apart from bellyaching about how she was scarred by the whole affair and fallout, she merely reveled in her 'scars'. Her husband, Will, was merely a tool and background for her great fantasies to play out against.

I was appalled not just by the shallowness of the female protagonist but also by the comments that supported her. A strong and empowered female doesn't need to empower herself through the betrayal of another. Nor does she require male reassurance of her attractive qualities through approval (and presumably through an adulterous lover) from male counterparts.  As a feminist, I shuddered to think fellow feminists viewed Ashley's betrayal as empowerment.

Then again. these aren't perfect characters, more so in Ashley's case. She was attracted by the guy in the original and even with what she learns in Destroying Fantasies, I doubt she'll fully see the truth till faced with callous reality. So that session with Jackass was the final part of the disillusionment, the betrayer is betrayed, the act of betrayal is reversed and becomes an assault on the unfaithful wife physically and psychologically.


Betrayal, regardless of the gender of the perpetrator, is never sexy. I set out to write Destroying Fantasies because I needed to give Will a voice. Yes, he isn't a knight in shining armour nor is he an all out hero. He's as broken as they come and shaped by the choices he makes. Hopefully readers will appreciate the flawed male protagonist in my sequel.


No comments:

Post a Comment